The Fundamental Design Calculations for the 5AT Locomotive contain all the calculations undertaken by David Wardale between 2002 and 2005 to verify that the levels of performance that he originally predicted for this locomotive could be delivered in practice. The calculations serve the additional purpose of providing a step-by-step methodology that future designers of steam locomotives can follow in the development of any new locomotive design, whether large or small, or for the adaptation of existing designs to improve their performance, economy and/or reliability.
The calculations are divided into 18 sections covering over 520 A4 pages (including 102 diagrams). The 18 sections are listed below:
1. . . . General Calculations --
1.1. . . Determination of the target power & tractive effort – speed characteristics (incl. Addendum)
1.2. . . Determination of the target load – speed – gradient curves
1.3. . . Preliminary basic calculations (original version)
1.3.F. . Preliminary basic calculations (final version)
1.4. . . Tractive effort diagrams
2. . . . . Reciprocating Components of the Engine and Drive Gear --
2.1. . . Piston rings, pistons, piston rods and piston tail rods
2.2. . . Crosshead assembly (incl. gudgeon pin & bearings) & slidebars
2.3. . . Connecting rods
3. . . . . Crankpins, coupling rods, driving & coupled axles, & crankpin & axle roller bearings
4. . . . . Piston valves, valve rings, valve spindles & packings
5. . . . . Valve gear
6. . . . . Cylinders and cylinder liners
7. . . . . Cooled valve liners
8. . . . . Wheel balancing
9. . . . . Feedwater heater
10. . . . Combustion air preheater
11.1. . . Boiler: principal strength calculations + Locomotive Boilers: Firebox Stays: Breakage
11.2. . . Boiler: combustion
11.3. . . Boiler and superheater: combustion gas + steam flow and heat transfer
12. . . . Exhaust system
13. . . . Springs & spring rigging
14. . . . Mainframe
15. . . . Brake gear
16. . . . Engine (leading) bogie & engine stability
17. . . . Auxiliaries & proprietary equipment
18 (Addendum) Performance predictions.
In addition to the calculations, the publication includes Wardale's Technical Specifications for the locomotive, plus an outline of the history of the project.
Proceeds from the sale of this book will be donated to the Advanced Steam Traction Trust and used for the further development of steam traction.